Emma is a Partner in the Manchester Employment team specialising in all aspects of employment law.
Emma trained in the City and has over twelve years’ experience as an employment lawyer. Emma works closely with clients to provide commercial and pragmatic legal advice in relation to a wide range of legal issues.
Emma’s practice is split between Manchester and London and encompasses the entire spectrum of employment work, including advising on complex and high value employment litigation; all aspects of Employment Tribunal claims, restructures and redundancy exercises, restrictive covenants, executive terminations, contractual disputes, protecting confidential information, TUPE and outsourcing and complex employee relations issues.
Emma has significant experience of advising clients within the media, financial services, retail and telecommunications sectors. Emma is published frequently in the legal press and is a recognised as a leading individual by the Legal 500. Emma is a regular speaker for the BBC on employment matters appearing on both radio and TV frequently.
Emma joined Clarke Willmott in March 2013 after training at Pinsents Masons in London. Emma spent several years in London working at Addleshaw Goddard before moving to DLA Piper in Manchester.
Emma is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
- Successfully applied for a suite of High Court Injunctions including a springboard injunction and a series of preventative undertakings from ex-Directors.
- Defended successfully a High Court claim for breach of contract in excess of £3m which settled via mediation.
- Experienced in conducting general Employment Tribunal litigation in relation to claims for unfair dismissal, disability discrimination, sex discrimination, race discrimination, equal pay and whistleblowing.
- Experienced in all aspects of general employment advisory work including dealing with senior recruits and exits, drafting restrictive covenants and advising on restraint of trade, advising on dismissal, disciplinary and grievance issues.
- Advised on the employment aspects of the sale of a TV format and Intellectual Property rights, acting for the shareholder of the parent company. This included advising on a pre-transfer internal group restructure, working as part of the HR team in varying contractual terms of employment, renewal of senior executive service agreements, the novation of contracts for services, advising on TUPE consultation obligations and, thereafter, reviewing the employment provisions of the transfer agreement. Advising on the onward share sale of the restructured company including the share purchase agreement provisions. After the sale, advising on the management buy out of the former parent company.
- Experience of working in the financial services sector to analyse and assess the revised FSA Code and its impact on the existing bonus structure and deferral scheme rules. Advised in relation to executive bonus and deferred reward schemes.