Expert advice on probate and estate administration
If you have been appointed as an executor or an administrator of an estate, we can support and advise you as you carry out your duties. Our specialist team of probate solicitors, qualified tax advisors, estate practitioners and trust administrators can advise you on the many complex questions that may arise when dealing with a person’s estate following their death.
Whatever the size of the estate, whatever type of assets or trusts are involved and regardless of whether the deceased has a Will or died intestate, our experienced probate solicitors can help.
How our probate solicitors can help
Our probate solicitors can advise you at each step of your duties to wind up the estate, including:
- Registering the death and arranging the funeral (if requested)
- Applying for Grants of Probate/administration
- Establishing who is entitled as a beneficiary of the estate and locating missing beneficiaries
- Identifying and administering the assets of the estate until they can be sold or distributed to the relevant beneficiaries
- Dealing with any outstanding debts or liabilities of the deceased
- Registering estates and trusts with HMRC
- Reporting capital gains tax (CGT) on sales of property
- Preparing and filing the necessary tax returns with HM Revenue & Customs
- Distributing the estate and accounting to each beneficiary
- If the Will you’re responsible for was made with Clarke Willmott, find out how to request the Will.
Specialist advice on complex areas of probate
Our probate solicitors also have a wealth of experience handling the more complex areas of estate administration including:
- Contentious probate – dealing with Will disputes
- Mitigating inheritance tax or capital gains tax – advising on opportunities to reduce tax on a deceased person’s estate
- Agricultural and business relief – minimising the inheritance or capital gains tax payable on estates containing business or agricultural assets
- International probate – handling foreign aspects of the estates of deceased UK domiciled individuals and the UK estates of otherwise overseas estates
- Trusts on death – advising on all aspects of setting up and transferring assets into trusts and their ongoing management
- Post death planning – assisting the recipient of an estate to pass on assets through a Deed of Variation
Our solicitors’ fees for probate
Our solicitors’ fees for probate are transparent. We do not charge any “added value” element, so you only pay for the work that you need our expert assistance with. For example, where you are able to deal with much of the work yourself, we can support you with our Grant Only Service. This is a fixed fee service to obtain the Grant of Probate or administration based on the information and evidence that they supply.
Find out more about our probate fees and costs.
Contact a specialist probate solicitor today
Our team of dedicated and experienced probate solicitors can help you navigate the probate process, and any complexities arising from it, with care and sensitivity. We have probate solicitors working across the country from our offices in Taunton, Bristol, London, Cardiff, Birmingham, Manchester and Southampton. Call today on 0800 652 8025 or get in touch online.