International family lawyers
Expert advice on international divorce and family law issues
As more people live or get married abroad, we are often called upon to provide specialist legal advice on a variety of international family law issues, including:
- Divorce and financial matters for those living in England, Wales or abroad, who meet the jurisdictional criteria to divorce here
- International relocation, child maintenance and contact arrangements for children
- International pre- and post-nuptial agreements
- Foreign assets, offshore trusts or international business interests on divorce
Our international family lawyers specialise in complex divorce involving overseas assets and cross-border families. Call 0800 422 0123 or get in touch online to book your initial confidential consultation and discuss your situation with an empathetic expert solicitor.
On this page
- Our international divorce expertise
- Why choose us?
- What the experts say about us
- International divorce FAQs
Taking early advice before your spouse or partner commences divorce proceedings in a particular jurisdiction is key, because the outcomes in England and Wales often differ significantly from those in other countries. It may be fatal to your claims if the other party starts proceedings first.
Where divorce proceedings are held can have a huge impact on financial claims. Expert advice should be taken as soon as possible to avoid issues later.
In order for the English Court to be able to deal with proceedings, you will either need to be habitually resident or domiciled in England and Wales (domicile is not necessarily the same as nationality). In cases involving children, the English Court’s jurisdiction will depend on the habitual residence of your child or children.
We have the expertise to deal with these issues, as well as with cases involving complex financial assets and structures. Our divorce and separation solicitors are accredited specialists in International and European family law, and we can also work closely with family law specialists across the world wherever necessary.
- Accredited specialists in International and European family law
- Highly ranked by The Legal 500 and Chambers UK
- Access to a network of family law specialists around the world
- Highly competitive fees and a tight control on costs
- Members of Resolution and will always take a collaborative approach in the first instance, even across borders
- Firm-wide expertise to advise on complex financial or legal matters
If you need legal advice on any aspect of international family law, call us now on 0800 422 0123 or contact us online to book an initial consultation with a specialist international family lawyer.
What the experts say about our international family law team
“They are thoroughly impressive from top to bottom, from excellent trainees through to partners. The moment you walk through their office door you get a good impression and they are wonderful to work with.” Chambers UK, 2022
“Maintains its formidable standing in the South West for complex financial remedy, surrogacy and private children matters, among others. Strong regional team representing high net worth clients in both traditional litigation and collaborative law proceedings. Increasingly involved in prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. Also well adept at handling cases involving international aspects.” Chambers UK, 2019