Laura joined Clarke Willmott in 2021 as an Associate in the top tier Bristol family team, having spent eight years previously at a full service regional law firm after qualifying in 2018.
Laura has experience dealing with all aspects of family law issues arising upon the breakdown of relationships, including complex financial settlements and regarding the arrangements for children following separation.
Laura’s previous experience includes working in a school for children with learning disabilities. Having studied modules in child psychology at university, carrying out her dissertation on the United Nation Convention on the Rights of the Child and graduating with a First Class Honours, Laura has a unique foundation and understanding in cases involving children, particularly in contested Children Act matters where child arrangements are in dispute.
Pre-children Laura was an army reservist, undertaking leadership training courses. Laura’s experience in the military enables her to provide particular empathy and consideration of the issues those serving in the military and going through a relationship breakdown may experience. This includes matters surrounding armed forces pensions or the complexities of child arrangements when one parent is posted elsewhere in the UK or overseas.
How Laura can help you
Laura supports her clients by providing clear and practical advice to assist them in reaching early settlement without having to embark upon contested court proceedings and costly litigation. In cases where settling outside of court is simply not possible, she is resolute to ensure her clients are given sound advice applicable to their individual situation, on all aspects of their case.
Laura has particular expertise in:
- Acting in Schedule 1 cases – financial claims for children brought by unmarried parents.
- Cases involving high net worth individuals.
- Dealing with issues surrounding non-disclosure and enforcement.
- Clients have included professional sports people and business owners.
- Working on cases involving other jurisdictions including France and the UAE.
- Working with clients from military backgrounds.
- Successfully advising a mother in contested Children Act proceedings involving outside of jurisdiction issues. Desired contact was achieved for the mother.
- Acting for wife in financial remedy proceedings where there were significant and continuous issues of non-disclosure by the husband as to his true wealth. We were successful in our application for costs order because of husband’s conduct in proceedings.
- Pro Bono work – Laura has advised on a pro bono basis and been involved in specific projects for various branches of the Citizens Advice Bureau in both Wiltshire and Bath including projects in local prisons.
- Laura is a member of Resolution, a community of family justice professionals who work with families and individuals to resolve issues in a constructive way.
- Outside of work Laura is an avid runner and is particularly interested in promoting the benefits of exercise during and post pregnancy. Laura was asked to write an article for Mother & Baby on the topic after completing a 100K ultra marathon 5 months post partum