James is a Senior Associate in the Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence team in the expanding Taunton office, having joined the firm from a top 100 law firm in 2015. James specialises in serious brain injury and Road Traffic Accident claims and highly complex clinical negligence cases.
James’ expertise includes working with victims of catastrophic injuries, and their families, to obtain the rehabilitation, support and care required to allow them to regain as much of their lives and independence as possible.
Whilst James acts for Claimants in a wide range of clinical negligence matters, he is particularly experienced in complex orthopaedic, peripheral nerve and gastrointestinal surgery claims. In both his personal injury and clinical negligence work, James regularly acts for dependants of those who have died as a result of their injuries; securing the financial future and care and support needs of the family.
James is a member of Headway, a charity dedicated to provide support, information and rehabilitation to survivors of brain injury and their families, and regularly supports and promotes one of our charity partners, the Encephalitis Society.
James’ expertise is frequently recognised outside of the firm and he is regularly asked to present to a variety of organisations. Some highlights include:
- Providing the professional commentary for the BBC on a high profile prosecution of a clinician;
- Providing training to Junior Doctors on behalf of the Royal College of Radiologists;
- Presenting to Case Management organisations on their obligations in joint instructions and the potential for their records to form part of a claim.
Some example of James’ recent case successes include:
- Assisted with the settlement of a highly publicised clinical negligence claim involving brain injury, in the sum of £6.8 million;
- A multi-million pound Road Traffic Accident claim involving a complex psychiatric reaction;
- Obtained compensation for a client whose consent to undergo complex treatment was not properly obtained, leading to a significant psychiatric injury;
- Settled a 6 figure Fatal Accident claim following death of the family’s bread winner;
- Successfully resolved a peripheral nerve case where doctors and nurses failed to recognise and treat a nerve injury which led to loss of function of the Claimant’s hand.