David Stedman is a Partner. He advises in a range of disputes including professional negligence, breach of contract, partnership disputes, misrepresentation, breach of confidence and claims for defamation.
David has particular experience acting on corporate disputes, including claims for unfair prejudice, claims against directors for breach of fiduciary duty and derivative claims brought on behalf of companies.
David is also instructed on contentious procurement disputes, acting for both contracting authorities and participants in the tender process.
David joined Clarke Willmott in 2014 after working in a niche litigation firm based in the South West with a strong reputation for acting in classic car disputes, which continues to be an area of expertise for David. At Cardiff University, David obtained a Bachelors degree in Law and Masters degree in Commercial Law.
David has rights of audience in the Higher Courts of England and Wales and is able to appear before all levels of the court system when required.
- Acting on and successfully settling a claim for unfair prejudice in excess of £650,000. The petition was presented and settlement was reached in the early hours of the first morning of trial.
- Acting on a claim by a company against a former director for breach of fiduciary duty which has led to losses in excess of £1,000,000.
- Successfully obtaining an injunction prohibiting the release of personal and private information following a without notice application in the High Court (TRK and BVP –v- ICM  EWHC 2810 (QB)).
- Acting on a £7,000,000 public procurement dispute in relation to an award by six English NHS Trusts to an industry rival for the provision of clinical waste disposal services. The matter concluded in the High Court with the contract award being overturned and orders for damages and costs being made in David’s client’s favour.
- Acting on various professional negligence claims brought by a national lender against surveyors in relation to significant commercial properties.
- Successfully obtaining significant damages from a legal advisor in respect of negligently failing to advise on issues of limitation.
- Acting for a former formula one racing driver in a claim for negligent damage to a classic Porsche racing car caused by a motoring journalist during a test drive.
Imaginative and hard-working
The Legal 500
I was impressed with David Stedman, a solicitor advocate who handled a number of difficult interim applications in the case; he is mature beyond his years.
The Legal 500