Paralegal – Private Client – Taunton
A paralegal role to assist the estate administration unit who manage a broad caseload of mainly taxable and complex estate work.
Hours: Full Time
Vacancy Reference: 408-PTN
We have been providing high quality private client advice for over 100 years and we remain at the forefront of the sector with consistent recommendations in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners for our work.
Our rapidly growing Taunton office includes a private capital team which is 20 strong and led by 3 partners which now has an opportunity for a paralegal to support the estate administration unit. The following areas of work are undertaken by the unit but does not represent an exhaustive list:
- Advising executors about the content and the effect of Wills including any connected issues regarding the validity of the Will
- Advising on the operation of the Intestacy Provisions where no Will exists
- Advising (where necessary) on the impact on the Inheritance (Provisions for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 and the impact that this may hold for the administration process and the devolution of the deceased’s estate
- Advising on the IHT and CGT issues that arise in connection with the deceased’s estate, including planning using the transferable IHT free allowance.
- Advising on the availability of and the qualifying criteria for APR and BPR. We have a significant client base amongst farmers landowners and other rural businessmen
- Advising on the availability of loss on sale relief and the regular expenditure out of surplus expenditure exemption; death on active service exemption and proprietary estoppel and constructive trust
- Liaising/negotiating direct with HMRC regarding the availability of reliefs and exemptions from IHT
- Advising on the treatment (including the taxation treatment) of settlements under which the deceased had a life interest, so far as this relates to the taxation and devolution of the deceased’s estate
- Advising on the utility and the operation of trust structures contained in Wills
- Advising on Deeds of Variation and Disclaimer
- Advising and preparing the full suite of IHT returns and estate accounts
- Meeting with and liaising with clients throughout the administration process
This role provides an excellent opportunity to develop your private capital career.
It is an integral part of this role that you comply with information security and all firm policies and procedures.
With good A level grades and GCSEs, you will have a strong grounding in law. Ideally you will have some experience of estate administration work and be keen to extend your skills and experience. The role would complement training that you may be undertaking such as ILEX or post graduate study.
Of course you’ll have excellent communication and IT skills, integrity and a professional manner. You will also be good at using your initiative and determined to provide the best service possible for your clients.
If you would like to apply for this vacancy, please send us your CV, together with a covering email/letter using the button below:
(If you have any difficulties with the link, you can email your application to us at email@example.com)
As a firm we are committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. Our recruitment privacy notice details how information is collected, processed and how long it is retained for.