Paralegal / Junior Paralegal – Private Client – Taunton
A Paralegal / Junior Paralegal role to assist the estate administration unit in our Private Capital team with managing their broad caseload of mainly taxable and complex estate work.
Role: Paralegal / Junior Paralegal
Hours: Full time
Vacancy Reference: 408-PTN
Our Private Capital team in Taunton has an opportunity for a talented Paralegal to support the estate administration unit.
Providing high quality and pro-active Paralegal support, you will have a varied workload and be adept at organisational skills, managing your own time and juggling priorities accordingly.
Initially under supervision, but as you gain confidence within the role and within this area of law, you will be advising on the following:
- Advising executors about the content and the effect of Wills including any connected issues regarding the validity of the Will and on the operation of the Intestacy Provisions where no Will exists
- Advising on inheritance tax and capital gains tax issues that arise in connection with the deceased’s estate
- Liaising/negotiating direct with HMRC regarding the availability of reliefs and exemptions from inheritance tax
- Advising on the treatment and taxation of settlements under which the deceased had a life interest
- Advising on the utility and the operation of trust structures contained in Wills
- Advising on Deeds of Variation and Disclaimers
- Advising and preparing the full suite of inheritance tax returns and estate accounts
- Meeting with and liaising with clients directly throughout the administration process
Whether you already have previous experience in this area, or if you simply have an interest in private client law from your degree or CILEX studies, this role is an excellent opportunity to kick start or to progress your private capital career.
We are a large and experienced team, led by 3 Partners, and there will be lots of training, guidance and support to assist you in getting fully up to speed with this complex area of law, and begin developing your own relationships with our clients.
It is an integral part of this role that you comply with data security and all firm policies and procedures.
We are open to candidates from a variety of academic backgrounds for this role. Previous experience of working within estate administration would be of benefit, but is not essential for this role. If you have some experience of working within a busy role within a client facing, professional services environment, and have a genuine interest in this area of law, we would very much like to hear from you.
We expect you to be someone who takes pride in your work and in providing a first class service at all times, anticipating our clients’ needs in advance wherever possible, and paying meticulous attention to detail in all of your work.
You will have excellent communication skills, impeccable spelling and grammar, and be proficient with the usual Microsoft packages, including Excel and PowerPoint. We use a variety of different software packages here and so you need to be comfortable with learning new databases and bespoke IT systems.
You will have regular one-to-one contact with our clients, so you will be professional and credible, with integrity and the ability to build rapport with clients.
Finally, we are looking for someone who can demonstrate initiative and problem-solving skills, with a willingness to learn and develop, which will help you thrive in this role.
If you would like to apply for this vacancy, please send us your CV, together with a covering email/letter using the button below:
(If you have any difficulties with the link, you can email your application to us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
As a firm we are committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. Our recruitment privacy notice details how information is collected, processed and how long it is retained for.