Skip to content Skip to footer
Enquiries Call 0800 652 8025
Couple smiling and embracing outdoors

Financial planning, investments, inheritance tax and Trusts

Advice for Court of Protection Deputies about financial planning

If you are appointed as a Court of Protection Deputy for property and financial affairs you will be responsible for managing someone’s finances. This means that you must keep their finances under regular review, even if there are arrangements or relationships which were put in place before your appointment. You cannot simply do nothing. Inherited arrangements or relationships may no longer be in the best interests of the individual now, and as Deputy you may need to make changes to bring those arrangements up to date.

How Clarke Willmott can help

The role of a Court of Protection Deputy is one that carries significant responsibility. It is important to take the right advice and we can help you navigate through these issues to make sure that you do not make expensive mistakes.

We do not give financial advice but we can help you choose the right financial adviser or specialist, depending on the financial issue you are dealing with.

We can assist with the following matters:

  • Asset protection trusts
  • Inheritance tax planning advice
  • The review of assets and investments to consider whether they are the right ones
  • Appointing an appropriately qualified financial advisor or investment manager
  • Explaining how the charging structures of financial advisers and investment managers work
  • The impact of changes on performance and on the value of the investment
  • The importance of cash flow forecasting to make sure funds last
  • Providing advice on whether gifting by Deputy is appropriate
  • Business succession planning
  • Applications to the Court of Protection regarding finances
  • Funding or paying for care
  • Impaired life annuities
  • Disputes over finances

Related services

Contact a Court of Protection solicitor

For financial planning advice for Court of Protection Deputies, contact our specialist team on 0800 652 8025 or contact us online.

Your key contacts

Looking for legal advice?