Anthony specialises in UK and international Court of Protection finance work and elderly care law and is also a professional deputy.
Anthony Fairweather is a partner in the private client team specialising in UK and international Court of Protection matters and elderly care advice. He is also the Managing Director of the Private Client Division.
Anthony joined Clarke Willmott LLP in 1998 and is dual qualified as a barrister and a solicitor. He is a member of the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) panel of professional deputies and deputy for over 200 individuals. He is also an OPG panel guardian for proceedings brought under the Guardianship (Missing Persons) Act 2017.
Ranked as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 for his Court of Protection expertise, Anthony heads up the Court of Protection Finance team of over ten solicitors and paralegals who work with families, case managers and local authorities to ensure that the financial affairs of individuals lacking the requisite decision-making capacity are properly managed.
Anthony is an accredited Law Society mediator; a Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP) and holds the Certificate in Financial Planning and CF8 Long Term Care.
How Anthony can help you
Described as an “utter professional”, Anthony heads up a hard-working and committed team of trusted advisors who all have an outstanding reputation for their expert knowledge and dedicated client service. The feedback that the team continuously receives from clients, their relatives and referrers is testimony to this:
- “A small, passionate and friendly team with incredible experience” Legal 500 2021
- “You have no idea how refreshing it is to have this kind of support” Relative of client
- “The lawyers are kind which is an important trait especially when dealing with vulnerable people” Legal 500 2021
- “Thank you again for your kindness and understanding over the years” Relative of client
- “The team was highly professional yet very human. I was treated with compassion and sensitivity at every stage. The team delivered on all promises made too” Legal 500 2020
Anthony can help his clients with:
- Acting as a professional Court of Protection deputy in situations where no-one is willing or able to act as deputy and is specialised in extremely challenging deputyships where there is critical family breakdown or allegations of fraud for example;
- Managing high value personal injury awards arising from complex catastrophic injury and clinical negligence cases;
- Acting as an expert in personal injury litigation in relation to deputyship costs;
- Supporting individuals through the process of applying to be a Court of Protection deputy for a vulnerable adult or elderly relative or making the application on their behalf;
- Providing technical and legal support to deputies and attorneys with:
- Administration – completing Court of Protection forms, tax returns or returns to the OPG;
- Advice on financial planning, investments and inheritance tax;
- Advice on care packages and care fee funding and the responsibilities of the NHS and the local authorities in relation to care;
- Managing disputes with families or carers about a vulnerable person’s finances, welfare or best interests
- Assisting a deputy or attorney with making a statutory Will application to the Court of Protection if the person they are acting for has no Will or an out of date Will;
- Dealing with international Court of Protection matters; for example if clients have foreign assets or need assistance dealing with foreign legal or financial institutions;
- Providing representation in disputed Court of Protection applications.
It is always a pleasure to work with this firm. Anthony Fairweather has unrivalled sector knowledge.
The Legal 500 2021
Anthony Fairweather is an utter professional. He is transparent in his communications and balanced in his opinions. He responds in a prompt manner and is always courteous.
The Legal 500 2021