Commercial disputes and professional negligence.
Alex joined the firm in 2000 and is head of the Bristol office.
He leads the commercial litigation team in Bristol and specialises in general commercial litigation.
He is noted for his thoroughness, attention to detail and pragmatic, commercial advice.
Alex has spent 18 months on a part time secondment to the legal department of a large supermarket chain. He is a practising mediator accredited by the ADR group.
Alex is married with two children. He is a rock climber, surfer and runs to keep fit.
How Alex can help you
- Banking and finance – enforcement, recoveries, security issues, real estate finance, asset finance
- Agency – Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993, termination of agency, secret profit, hidden commission
- Contractual disputes – breach of warranty, breach of contract, supply of goods and services, unfair contract terms, retail
- Energy – disputes arising from the supply of energy to commercial and retail customers
- Financial services – insurance disputes, finance agreements, sale and lease back, hire purchase, consumer credit
- Fraud – misrepresentation, deceit, mortgage fraud, off plan scams
- Professional negligence – solicitors, accountants, valuers, surveyors, insurance brokers, engineers, architects, monitoring surveyors
- Product liability – defective goods, consumer protection
- IT disputes – software, defective hardware
- Shareholder and boardroom disputes – Companies Act 2006, unfair prejudice and derivative actions
- Acting for Great Lakes Reinsurance in Denso Manufacturing UK Ltd v Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) Plc . Successfully defending Great Lakes’ reliance on conditions precedent to insurance cover.
- Acting for a drinks supplier in a claim for circa £8.5 million arising from losses incurred as a result of a product recall. Substantial damages recovered.
- Acting for a bridging and development lender in a claim for c£7 million arising from the overvaluation of a supposedly haunted castle in Scotland. Substantial damages recovered.
- Acting for a group of private investors caught by an off plan hotel rooms scam. Successfully recovered substantial damages from the solicitors acting for the investors.
- Acting for a minority shareholder in a claim arising from unfair prejudice by the majority shareholders of a development business. Concluded on successful terms with the sale of the minority shareholding.
- Acting for a peer to peer lender in a claim against a monitoring surveyor for negligent advice in connection with a large student accommodation development. (ongoing)
- Acting for a large US listed company in a claim for c£10 million arising from breach of contract in connection with the manufacture of medical devices. (ongoing)
- Acting for various clients in claims against energy brokers (TPIs) and energy suppliers for an account of secret or undisclosed commission.
- Acting for a delisted public limited company in the claim of Amicrest Holdings plc v Lipien and anor; a claim that started life as a derivative action brought by a minority shareholder against two former directors for breach of fiduciary duty. (ongoing)
Legal 500 2020 names Alex as a Leading Individual for both professional negligence and Commercial Litigation notes that is “technically and tactically superb, a real heavyweight powerhouse of a commercial litigator” and “simply superb at the overall tactical aspect of dealing with a case”.
The Legal 500
Alex is ranked in both Commercial Litigation and Professional Negligence in Chambers UK 2020, which records that he “provides sound, business-friendly advice in a structured, logical manner, distilling complex problems into clearly delineated options for the client”.