Emma provides legal advice to clients considering/involved in disputes over Wills, inheritances and trusts.
Emma is a Senior Associate in Clarke Willmott’s Bristol Litigation team specialising in contentious wills, trusts and probate matters and property disputes.
Emma studied at Cardiff University and trained at GL Law. She qualified into GL Law’s Litigation team in 2010 where she gained experience in both commercial litigation and private client litigation.
Emma’s expertise includes will disputes, claims for financial provision under a will or intestacy, probate claims including applying to the court on behalf of Executors for directions. Emma’s clients include private individuals, personal representatives, beneficiaries and attorneys/deputies. She also acts for private clients in relation to property disputes and Court of Protection Deputies in relation to property issues.
Emma has experience in dealing with high value, complex disputes including trust disputes, claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 and claims for equitable relief under proprietary estoppel, constructive trusts and resulting trusts.
How Emma can help you
Emma has extensive experience in both litigating disputes and also resolving disputes through negotiations or mediations and can guide clients through the process.
- Emma was the leading solicitor in the Ingram v Abraham High Court case. Emma represented the claimants in a successful claim to overturn a will drafted by the Deceased brother which left everything to himself and nothing to her children. The case is noteworthy for providing a careful analysis of how to apply to the test for want of knowledge and approval as the judgment sets out the factors to consider when bringing a claim.
- Acting for a minor in a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 where her father died unexpectedly and left no provision for his children. This was a high value estate and Emma provided advice on cross-jurisdictional issues and achieved a settlement on behalf of the minor.
- Acting for parties who have been unexpectedly left out of a Will to bring a claim for lack of capacity and want of knowledge and approval.
- Acting for Executors in complicated Estates where Court directions are required before they can carry out the administration for example when legacies are rejected.
- Advising on a proprietary estoppel claim regarding a farm on a multi-million pound estate.
- Bringing and defending claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 by spouses, partners and children for further financial provision from an estate.
- Advising on the doctrine of mutual Wills.
- Advising parties in executor disputes.
“Thank you for your help, advice, and patience throughout the last year or so. In the unexpected situation I was in, your expertise and measured responses were what I needed to navigate through the legal and emotional battle. You were always ‘on my side’, acting with integrity and above all, kindness, it really means a lot.”
Many thanks for your excellent support and guidance during this prolonged issue. My feedback would be that you and your colleagues have all been very helpful throughout and I would definitely come back to you should I need legal advice in future.