COFA Support Compliance Officer – Bristol
This is a varied role working in the Finance team. This role will work closely with the firms Compliance Officer for Finance and Administration (COFA) and Finance Management to ensure that systems and controls are in place to enable the firm, its managers and employees to comply with their obligations under the SRA Accounts Rules.
In addition to COFA support compliance activities, this role will be the primary approver for electronic payments across the firm and maintain Finance Information Security ISO27001 routines.
Role: COFA Support Compliance Officer
Hours: Full time
Vacancy Reference: 468–BBL
Reporting to the COFA and Financial Operations Manager, the COFA Support Compliance Officer will:
- Maintain the firms Solicitors Accounts Rules (SAR) Breach Register, recording any breach incidents against the specific rules and actions taken
- Routinely review financial transactions entered against the SAR and ensure any potential breaches are identified, captured on the breach register and that any corrections required are undertaken in a timely manner
- On a prescribed basis, perform internal audits of case matter files to ensure compliance against the SAR
- Review client account residual balances, which can involve liaising with Finance and Matter Billing Timekeepers, to ensure the funds are correctly held and that annual Client Letters are sent and recorded
- Support in the annual SAR audit, undertaken by the firms external Accountants
In addition to the daily COFA Support Compliance activities, this role will also:
- Be the primary approver for electronic payments across the firm
- Maintain Financial Information Security logs in line with ISO27001, maintaining evidence that our systems and controls are actively in place
This role carries a responsibility for information security and you will need to evidence your understanding of this. You will be required to comply with the Solicitors Accounts Rules as well as the firms information security policy and all firm wide policies and procedures. You will be expected to demonstrate expertise, understanding and compliance with the team’s Finance processes and standard operating procedures and take responsibility for ensuring that all other members of the Finance team do the same, escalating any issues should they arise.
- Relevant professional qualification or degree is advantageous
- 1 – 3 years legal finance or compliance experience
Skills, Abilities, Knowledge and Experience:
- Previous experience of working in a compliance role/risk management
- Knowledge of the ‘Solicitors Accounts rules’, ISO and AML a strong advantage
- Audit experience preferable
- Exposure to dealing with or the approval process of online payments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to liaise and advise Partners, Fee Earners and support staff
- Strong I.T. skills, including Excel, Word and Outlook
- Strong time management skills and excellent attention to detail
- Approachable, proactive, professional, adaptable, flexible
If you would like to apply for this vacancy, please send us your CV, together with a covering email/letter using the button below:
(If you have any difficulties with the link, you can email your application to us at email@example.com)
As a firm we are committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. Our recruitment privacy notice details how information is collected, processed and how long it is retained for.