Stuart Thorne is a Partner in the Private Client Team and is a Trust and Estates Practitioner specialising in lifetime tax planning and succession issues, with particular expertise in inheritance tax for farmers and landed estates and other privately owned businesses.
Stuart’s expertise includes working with other professionals to produce comprehensive plans address clients’ succession objectives. He has spoken at the Farm Tax Conference on Inheritance Tax negotiations.
Stuart joined Clarke Willmott in 1977 having been educated at Kings College Taunton and Southampton University. He has been a Partner since 1984. He is also a Notary Public having obtained his Diploma in Notarial Studies at Cambridge University in 2007.
Stuart is ranked in as a Legal Expert by Legal Business and also ranked in Legal 500 and Chambers.
- Successful negotiation of “Balfour” Business Property Relief Cases.
- Completion of rafts of “Pilot Trusts” for receipt of exempt assets following death.
- Completion of Deeds of Variation to restructure Wills and upon intestacy of a large agricultural estate with minor beneficiaries.
- Completion of Charitable Trusts and drafting of Wills with charitable bequests to secure reduced 36% inheritance tax rate.
- Lasting Powers of Attorney for private and commercial clients.
- Working with corporate colleagues re: Shareholders Agreements and Life Cover Trusts, ensuring business continuity after deaths.