Neil is a partner in our Property Litigation team (which is top-ranked by both legal directories) whose expertise has been gained acting for many investor, developer and industrial clients. Neil handles commercial property and related disputes, including pre-acquisition risk assessment, landlord and tenant litigation, service charge, rent review, arbitration, dilapidations and redevelopment, breach of contract claims, contested 1954 Act lease renewals, overage disputes, professional negligence claims, environmental contractual disputes and nuisance, including high value Group Litigation, and has lectured in many of these areas.
Originally with City firm, Simmons & Simmons, and then a partner at Burges Salmon, Neil joined Clarke Willmott in 2003.
Neil is personally ranked in ‘Band 1’ by the Chambers UK 2017 legal directory and in the Legal 500 it is noted that the “technical expertise is ‘second to none’” amongst Neil and his property litigation colleagues. Neil is also a member of the Property Litigation Association.
- Represented the successful landlord in the High Court in Avocet Industrial Estates LLP -v- Merol Ltd & Tudor Rose International Ltd, one of the leading reported cases on the operation of break clauses in commercial leases.
- Advising developers/investors on liabilities and mitigation strategies in relation to the application of overage to large development sites (price uplift following a profitable disposal).
- Acting for a major household-name garden products manufacturer resulting in fully-defended High Court litigation and the refund to the client of a substantial site-remediation trust account following the purchaser’s failure to comply with terms of the sale contract.
- Advising the operator of a well-known national chain of restaurants and resolving their London head office service charge dispute.
- Defending high value industrial operators in Group Litigation in the High Court.