Emma is a Partner and Team Manager of the Private Client department and specifically heads up the deceased estate administration team in the Taunton office, as well as dealing with lifetime planning matters. Emma’s expertise includes: dealing with high value estates mainly involving some level of negotiation with the Revenue over the payment of inheritance tax and claiming relevant exemptions and reliefs; and advising clients on Will structures, Powers of Attorney and Deeds of Variation. Emma also deals with Death on Active Service exemption claims to save inheritance tax.
Emma studied a Law and Business Degree at Warwick University and joined Clarke Willmott in July 2004 after completing the Legal Practice Course at Exeter University. Emma was a paralegal before commencing her training contract in September 2006 and qualified as a Solicitor in March 2008.
Emma is a fully qualified member of the Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners (STEP).
- Obtaining the Death on Active Service exemption from the Ministry of Defence on the death of former servicemen/women who have sustained an injury/illness whilst on active service that has contributed/caused their death. This obtains a complete exemption of inheritance tax on that deceased’s estate.
- Reducing the value of a deceased’s estate by claiming:
- Agricultural and/or business property relief
- Gifts from normal expenditure out of income
- Proprietary estoppel and/or constructive trusts.