Chris is a Partner and is head of our “very responsive and approachable”(Legal 500 2012) Property Litigation team. Chris has extensive experience in the full range of property disputes. Chris’ expertise includes working with national property developers and he has a particular specialism in acting for national housebuilder clients. He also specialises in professional negligence claims relating to the property industry.
Chris joined Clarke Willmott in 1992, after working first at Alsop Wilkinson in London and then at Masons, and has been a Partner since 1995. Chris has been appointed as a deputy district judge, is ranked in both Legal 500 and Chambers and is a member of the Property Litigation Association.
- Chris acts for and advises a number of national housebuilder clients on a full range of property issues that affect the sector, including development and consortium agreements, options, overage disputes, rights of way, rights of light and valuation disputes. Recent experience includes acting for a national housebuilder client to defend a claim brought by another developer that it is entitled to a beneficial interest in a development site valued at £3m.
- Advising NHS Hospital trust on substantial claim for damages against solicitors relating to the failure to serve a break notice in a lease of commercial property.
- Advising private landowner clients on claim for specific performance of £20m contract for the sale of development land.
- Acting for client in china clay business, advising on dispute with tenant to enforce covenants in lease relating to the supply of material by the client to its tenant.
- Chris has acted for clients on cases that have been determined in the courts at all levels in this country, up to the House of Lords, and also in the European Court of Justice.