Our agricultural disputes team has a national reputation for its experience and expertise in advising farmers, farming businesses, landed estates and land owners on a wide range of contentious matters.
We advise on any dispute relating to:
- Crime and regulatory matters including health and safety, hunting and shooting, animal welfare, and cross-compliance
- Landlord and tenant and estate management
- Real Property, including repossession, adverse possession, easements, covenants, public and private rights of way, flooding and land management and sporting rights
- Farming partnerships and companies
- Proprietary estoppel
- Contentious probate and trusts (including statutory wills)
- Professional negligence
- Equine law
- Contract and procurement
We recognise that our clients need their disputes to be resolved quickly and effectively with minimal disruption to their businesses. Our lawyers endeavour to achieve this through Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) such as negotiation or mediation, but if this is inappropriate or ineffective then we will expertly guide the dispute through the judicial process. A number of our lawyers hold Higher Rights of Audience and the team has in-depth experience of the UK court and tribunal system, including judicial review as well as other forms of adjudication such as arbitration.
Our recent work includes:
- Numerous property possession proceedings
- Bringing and defending proprietary estoppel claims in the context of a farming partnership dispute
- Handling a large-scale group test action
- Arbitrations relating to agricultural tenancies under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 and progressing ‘special case’ notices for landlords and tenants alike
- Advising the Heythrop Hunt in a high profile prosecution brought against them by the RSPCA
- Bringing and defending claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 by spouses, partners and children for further financial provision from an estate
- Flooding actions
Contact an agri-disputes lawyer
If you would like to find out more about how our agri-disputes team can support you and your business, you can contact our lawyers directly using the details given on their profile pages, or you can call the agriculture Sector Manager, Victoria Howlett on 0345 209 1719.
Clarke Willmott has offices in Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, London, Manchester, Southampton and Taunton. Our agriculture team has a strong presence in the South West and advises clients across England and Wales.