Our agricultural business lawyers have extensive experience of providing advice and guidance on a wide-range of corporate and commercial issues to our farming and food industry clients.
Our approach is to find practical ways of facilitating a wide range of corporate transactions as well as collaboration through farming joint ventures and co-operatives, service companies, collaborative purchasing arrangements, farm restructuring, machinery and asset sharing. We enjoy working closely with our clients to find innovative and cost effective solutions that work in the real world.
Our agri-business services include:
- Corporate transactions and restructuring, including company sales and acquisitions, partnerships agreements and joint venture agreements
- Commercial contracts, including supply, distribution and outsourcing arrangements
- Banking and insolvency work, including granting security to lenders over their farming assets, advising on strategy if a farming business gets into financial difficulties, and advising on the impact and consequences of insolvency
- Intellectual property law, including brand protection programmes, trade mark and registered design filings and IP litigation
- Specialist employment and HR advice to farming businesses in relation to contracts of employment, housing of agricultural workers, termination of employment, immigration and work permits and employment handbooks and policy
- Health and safety at both UK and EU level
- Regulatory work
Good business practice and the challenges facing the agriculture sector require farmers and food processors to regularly monitor their businesses so as to maximise opportunities and to protect and increase market share. We have seen a growing demand for innovative funding, business and contractual arrangements as well as increasing consolidation and greater emphasis on collaboration across the spectrum of the food chain; from farmers to processors, distributors and retailers. We expect this demand to grow following Brexit.
Our recent work includes:
- Restructuring a family farming business involving a share buy-back in order to realise cash for family members and consolidate ownership with key participants
- Acting on the sale of a family feed merchant to a large consolidator in the agri-business industry
- Advising a farmer on a feedstock supply agreement for an AD plant
- Advising a large farming business in relation to a complex multiple claim from three farm employees
- Acting for a bank in respect of security for a loan facility to assist with the purchase of a farm
Contact an agri-business lawyer
If you would like to find out more about how our agri-business team can support you and your business, you can contact our lawyers directly using the details given on their profile pages, or you can call the agriculture Sector Manager, Victoria Howlett on 0345 209 1719.
Clarke Willmott has offices in Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, London, Manchester, Southampton and Taunton. Our agriculture team has a strong presence in the South West and advises clients across England and Wales.